Do you have a great way to calm down when someone has pushed your buttons? What is your tolerance level?
How do you handle it when people mislead you or do something that you feel takes advantage of your kindness and honesty?
I am a pretty patient and tolerant person. I always try to give every single person the benefit of the doubt and see everyone in the best light possible.
But let’s be honest, there just may be those times when you run into someone who has their own personal issues they need to sort through and they do things that can really be upsetting or push your buttons.
You know the best thing you can do is find a way to calm down and return to your great frame of mind.
You can run into people that are dishonest, deceitful or just plain rude. And, it can be really irritating and a true test of your patience and tolerance, even if you are a very calm and collected person.
You may be someone that is consistently doing everything possible to stay centered and have a peaceful frame of mind. You meditate regularly, do yoga, jog or some other relaxation practice consistently. You have great relationships and really enjoy spending time with other people. For the most part, you always have the best mindset and get along well with everyone you come into contact with.
But, then you encounter someone who is unscrupulous, inappropriate or inconsiderate and it is necessary to find a way to calm down. Do you fall into the trap? Do you allow them to get you all worked up?
Do you let them interfere with your positive mindset?
Well, the honest answer may sometimes be yes. And, that is okay. It happens. We are human and may not be completely immune to the egos and issues that may come our way from other people.
Many of us admittedly are still strengthening our tolerance and patience skills.
However, the key is that we have to stay committed to having a great frame of mind as often as we can and that means we find a way to calm down and regain our positive mindset anytime we notice a disturbance.
We don’t beat ourselves up for being upset or bothered. We simply recognize when our peace of mind has been disturbed and focus all of our attention and effort on returning to our great frame of mind.
We can’t control how other people behave, but we can control how we react and if we allow what other people do to affect us in a negative way.
Here are 10 things you can do as soon as you recognize someone has interfered with your positive mindset. Always remember that your #1 goal is to do whatever works for you to regain your peace of mind. Any negative feelings or emotions that surface will pass like a wave, as long as you allow them to move through your system and commit to restoring your peace of mind.
1. Take 10 Deep breaths … (maybe 20 or 30 depending on what has happened and how worked up you are)
2. Give yourself credit and think about how great it is of you to take the high road. Realize you are strengthening a good trait in yourself. (As hard as it may be to believe, sometimes our best patience and tolerance trainers are those people that really do push our buttons.)
3. Take a walk and focus on something that makes you happy.
4. Call a friend and talk about something that makes you smile or laugh. Whatever you do, do not complain or talk about what has upset you (remember the idea is to get you back into the right frame of mind, not all worked up again).
5. Meditate, do yoga, read, take a jog or do some sort of exercise. Do anything that helps to take your mind off of the disturbance and relax your mind.
6. Realize that whoever upset you is not your issue and you don’t have to bother yourself with teaching them anything. No revenge or teaching them a lesson is necessary. The universe has its own way of teaching people the lessons they need.
7. Remind yourself that you are doing it for yourself. You will be the one that benefits the most from clearing your mind. Prioritize your peace of mind over everything. Realize that your peace of mind is the most important thing and refuse to allow anyone to negatively encumber it for too long.
8. Go have some fun and laugh.
9. Listen to your favorite song, sing, dance and get your positive energy flowing again.
10. Think about the things in your life that you love and appreciate. It is amazing how true gratitude and appreciation will overshadow any negative feelings you may have.
Live Today Better than Yesterday.