What if things don’t work out the way I want them to? What if she took that e-mail I sent the wrong way and is now upset? What if I can’t pay my rent? What if I end up failing? What if I get fired? What if they don’t like me or think I am smart enough?
Does any of this sound familiar? Have you ever worried about something?
Well, unless you are completely different from every other person on this planet, the answer is that you have been known to worry.
You are by no means strange nor are you an anomaly if you have worries. Worrying is a part of human nature and is usually based on real concerns we have.
It really is possible things may not go as we want, and let’s be honest, that can be pretty disturbing so we end up worrying.
In fact, many people are masters at convincing themselves that they actually need to worry.
Check out these common thoughts …
- I need to be concerned and worried so I can be prepared when things go wrong
- I need to worry about everything that could go wrong and really think through things
- This is something really serious and I need to worry about how it is going to work out
Oh, and this one is classic …
- I need to worry about things going wrong because if I don’t, I am assuming they will go well and am being overconfident. I am jinxing the situation and that is when things end up going wrong.
Whether we are a worrywart or just an “every now and then” worrier, doesn’t really matter. Any worrying is bad for us and we have to choose to take control of our thoughts and put a stop to it.
When we are worrying, we are really caught up in a negative cycle that is working against us. Too much of our energy and attention is focused on worrying and that really weighs us down and disturbs our peace of mind.
We then end up acting from a place of fear and that never creates the best results.
The crazy thing is that oftentimes we realize we are worrying, but don’t choose to do anything about it. We ignore the fact that it really is an issue and just let our worries continue to consume our thoughts and linger in our minds.
But, today is the day to kill the bad habit of worrying.
Why on earth would we continue to allow ourselves to worry? We know it does nothing good for us, so why don’t we put a stop to it?
If someone told you to take a certain pill that would cause damage to your peace of mind and make you continually focus on the wrong things, you would never voluntarily just swallow the pill.
And, you shouldn’t just accept worrying as something you do. It is something that is 100% within your control, but you do have to make the decision to get rid of the worrying habit.
By pouring all of your passion, energy and attention into whatever it is you are doing.
You should be all about doing everything with amazing quality and direct all of your attention to whatever is right in front of you.
I don’t care how big or small the thing is you are doing …
If you are typing an e-mail, then make it the best e-mail you have ever typed. Put everything you have into that e-mail. Make sure that e-mail is dripping with your positive energy and that you directed all your attention to it when you were putting it together.
If you are playing in the sandbox with your daughter, focus on having an amazing time and building a legendary sandcastle.
If you are talking on the phone with your friend, really pay attention to what she is saying and be completely engaged in the conversation.
You get the idea, right? You give whatever you are doing all of your attention and everything you have.
And, this is going to be the exact same method you use as you move through the day from task to task.
Okay, so I know you probably have a couple of questions.
how will this help you stop worrying?
When you give the things you are doing all of your attention and energy, it is literally impossible to focus on anything else. You just have no mental space left to worry because all of your thoughts and attention are focused on whatever is in front of you (this is a good thing, actually it is a great thing).
And, what about that thing you would normally worry about? What happens to it? You still need a solution to the problem.
Okay, that’s a fair point. But, honestly, when it comes to an issue you are worried about, you only have 3 options:
- Determine what, if anything, you can do at this precise moment to solve whatever you are worried about. If there is something you can do, then do it and pour all of your passion and energy into doing it.
- If there is nothing you can do right now, but there is something you can do later, then let it go until later and do whatever is in front of you with the utmost quality. When later comes, then it is time to pour all of your attention and energy into whatever it is you decided you can do.
- If there is nothing at all you can do about it, then you have to let it go. You are just wasting your time and positive energy worrying about something you can’t do anything about.
Take a look at this great chart I came across. It sums up the point very well.
Don’t taint your positive energy and peace of mind by worrying about what could happen at some future point in time.
Focus on today.
Focus on this moment right now.
Give all your attention to what is currently in front of you.
Pour all your positive energy into what you are doing.
And, by all means, don’t allow any of your focus or attention to be wasted on worrying. It just does nothing good for you.
Live Today Better than Yesterday.
So, what’s on your mind? What can I help with? What did you think about this post?