“Breaking new ground only takes a small amount more effort than you’re used to giving.” David Cain – 88 Important Truths I have Learned About Life
I was surfing around the blogosphere the other day and came across this insight. It really is so true.
So often we build things up in our mind to be way bigger than they actually are. We convince ourselves that what we want is going to take so much work and require so much of our attention and focus.
We end up putting our dreams on hold because we convince ourselves we just don’t have the time right now to begin taking the steps we would need to in order to be successful.
I have a full time job and responsibilities to take care of.
I have kids that need all of my attention.
I am already working way too many hours and am exhausted.
There is just not enough time in the day for me to take on anything new.
Does any of that sound familiar? I know I have definitely had some of those thoughts. But, if we really think about it and are being honest with ourselves … aren’t those really just excuses?
Haven’t we just projected something in our minds to be HUGE and then found a way to talk ourselves out of pursuing it?
Well, today is the day to break it all apart.
Granted we may have BIG dreams but the steps we need to take to reach our dreams are never too big to take.
All we have to do is get over that initial mental barrier that is holding us back and commit to taking that first step.
Yes, we may have to work a little harder. We may have to juggle things around. But, don’t we all want to break new ground? Don’t we all want to do something that we feel is extraordinary?
Life has never been about maintaining the status quo.
how to break new ground:
- Break down any limiting beliefs that you don’t have the time to do something BIG you desire. You have way more time available in the day than you may think.
- Plan how you will make more time everyday. Be open to changing your daily routine if necessary. You may have to get up a little earlier or watch tv a little less. Be willing to change things around to make room for taking that first step. The key is to make a plan and follow it because otherwise you will just continue to convince yourself you don’t have the time.
- Break down any limiting beliefs that you don’t have the ability to do something BIG you desire. You have amazing potential. You just have to realize it and continually (every morning) remind yourself of that reality.
- Take action now. Don’t wait until tomorrow to get moving on taking that first step. Plan what you are going to do and do it now. Do it today. It doesn’t matter how big or small that first step is … just take it. Many of us are masters at putting things off until we think the time is perfect. The perfect time will not just magically appear. You have to make the time perfect and move.
- Take steps daily. Do something every single day that will help you move in the direction you want to go. Some days you may have more time than others to devote to what you want to do. However, it is important to do something every single day (no matter how small) to keep things moving in the right direction.