Where the heart is willing, it will find a thousand ways. Where it is unwilling, it will find a thousand excuses. – Arlen Price
2011 is officially over. Happy 2012. I really think know it’s going to be an amazing year.
Not because I can see into the future and not because I am overly optimistic about things always working out. Trust me, like some of you, my 2011 was filled with its ups, downs, curve balls, victories, and a healthy handful of challenges.
But, that’s the way life goes … right?
You experience it all; the “good”, the not so “good”, the exciting and sometimes even the things that can knock you off your feet for awhile.
However, if you can step back and take a look at the bigger picture you can see how every experience has in one way or another shaped you, strengthened you, and even set you up to take advantage of the future in a new and improved way.
It really is all about right now and it couldn’t have come at a better time. That’s why I know 2012 is going to be amazing for us.
How do I know this applies to you?
Because you have read this far and there is a reason you are reading this. There always is. Trust me, there are a lot of other people that aren’t reading this article.
But, you are and this is so our year to make things happen.
To take advantage of everything we have learned in the past years, to pour our passion and energy into the moment that is right in front of us, to continually take step after step, day after day, in the direction we want to go, and to see the payoff we have been waiting for.
I know this is the time of year where a lot of us make our New Year’s resolutions.
I am all for the new year’s resolutions, but I also think what will really help us keep things moving in the right direction is to commit to not making any excuses in 2012.
Not even one.
No more excuses for not doing what we know we can and should be doing. No more excuses that only hold us back and allow us to justify things to ourselves that shouldn’t be justified, but rather corrected.
We have so much we want to accomplish. We know how we want to feel about our life and all the things in it. We know what will make us feel accomplished, productive and extraordinary.
This is the year to really make some great things happen.
After all, we are given a new set of 24 hours every single day. There is so much possibility in Today and every Today that follows. All we have to do is put it to the best use and recognize everything we are really capable of.
So, let’s commit to not tripping ourselves up. Excuses are signs we are getting in our own way and we want no part of them. Anytime we feel an excuse coming on, we will:
(1) Immediately recognize what we are doing
(2) Correct our thinking & make sure we don’t buy into the limiting belief that is holding us back; and
(3) (Most importantly), make sure we are taking advantage of the Possibility of Today and doing all we really are capable of every single day.
Here’s a list of 59 excuses to be on the lookout for. Beware of any and all of them.
59 excuses not to make in 2012:
- I just can’t do it
- I don’t have enough time
- It’s too late
- It’s impossible
- It’s just not realistic
- I tried already and it didn’t work
- I’m afraid of failing
- It’s just not the right time
- It’s going to be so difficult
- I don’t have the willpower
- There is a reason why things aren’t falling into place
- I don’t want to try, get my hopes up and end up being disappointed
- Things rarely go my way
- I’m not as good as the other people that are already doing it
- My friends don’t think it will work
- Every time I try, it never works out
- I am not motivated enough
- I will be so embarrassed if it doesn’t work out
- Things like that never happen to people like me
- I doubt that would work
- I’ve got responsibilities and bills to pay
- I don’t want anyone to see me fail
- I am just not disciplined enough
- It’s too risky
- It will take so long
- I don’t deserve it
- That’s just not how I am wired
- I can’t afford it
- Nothing ever goes my way
- I don’t have the energy
- I’m too old
- I’m too young
- That’s just not the way things work
- It’s too big
- I’m too scared
- I’m too tired
- I am not smart enough
- It’s too hard to change
- I can’t take that chance
- I have too much to lose
- I am too afraid of what could happen
- No one believes I can do it
- I can’t figure it out
- I never have been good at completing things
- I am not disciplined enough
- Life isn’t fair
- I am cursed
- I already did everything I could
- It’s just too much
- I am stressed out
- I can’t go any further
- It’s never going to happen
- No one will ever give me a chance
- I can’t focus
- I am too lazy
- I just can’t do it anymore
- I don’t have anyone that will support or help me
- I am afraid it will not work
- It’s just not possible
Live Today Better than Yesterday
What did you think of this post? Do you have anything to add to the list? We are all in this together so please share your thoughts and wisdom with us in the comment section. Also, if you liked it, please click “Like” and share it. If you have any questions or think there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to send me an e-mail (email@example.com) or leave a comment below. I always love hearing from you.