Thank you for all the past lessons you have given me.
I’m ready now.
Can you believe another year has gone by? We are literally days away from 2013. Have you heard the theory that life speeds up as you get older? “As we grow older time seems to condense, speed up, and elude us.” Douwe Draaisma
Has this been your experience this year?
I know it’s been mine and that’s why at the end of every year I like to just pause and think about the year – all the things that happened and most importantly all the lessons that came my way.
And, whew … there have been so many lessons this year. I almost don’t even know where to begin and it seems almost impossible to narrow all the lessons down to one list – but, as you may have already noticed, I am all about lists.
So, here it goes …
My Top 10 Life Lessons of 2012 (in no particular order)
1. Life always puts in front of you exactly what you need at that precise moment in time. Use whatever comes your way and learn from it. Things don’t just happen “to us”, they also happen “for us” so that we can have certain realizations and live even better tomorrow. “Whether it is good or bad or tastes sweet or sour, life gives you exactly what you need. ” Aisha Taylor .
2. Being happy doesn’t mean that everything always feels perfect. It’s okay and to be expected if challenges and curve balls come your way. Your job is to manage through those times as best you can, have faith, continual hope and realize somehow – someway – there is always perfection in imperfection.
3. You Should Continually Rethink What’s Possible. There’s definitely nothing more important than experiencing the moment in front of you and appreciating exactly where you are, but from time to time you should make sure you are recognizing all that is really possible and going for what you really want. “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela
4. Sometimes the best thing you can do is let go — so better things can come your way. Although we can get settled into life and attached to the way things have been, there are those times when we really are meant to let go and move on.
5. It doesn’t take much to make the day better, but it does take intent. No matter what is going on around us, we always get to choose how we are going to feel as we move through the day and how the things around us affect us. It’s like that great quote explains - “Inner peace begins the moment you choose not to allow another person or event to control your emotions.”
6. Be with someone who you really love, who really loves you and who helps you become better than you ever thought was possible. The best relationships aren’t just about the good times; they’re also about the obstacles you go through together, the undying support, love, and the ways you help each other grow.
7. “The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible.” ~David Viscott. Despite any setbacks, if you continually work at something, pour your heart and everything you have into it, and continually strengthen your belief that it’s possible, you will accomplish it.
8. We should always trust the way life unfolds. ”Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” Dalai Lama
9. Your mindset influences so much - how you feel, what you do and what you really believe is possible. We’ve got to work everyday to clear away limiting beliefs and negative thought patterns that we’ve built up over the course of our lifetime. It’s like weeding a garden and your job each day is to pick out as many weeds as you can. It takes discipline and effort, but once you remove the weeds, life really opens up.
10. There is something within each of us that is powerful and capable of so much. It’s like that great quote by Emerson explains – “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Our job is to get more and more acquainted with that part of ourselves – our Extraordinary Side-so that we can feel it at all times and allow it to shape and influence everything we think, say and do.
Live Today Better than Yesterday.
Did you like this article? Please let me know your thoughts in the comment section below. And, if you need anything, please feel free to e-mail me directly at email@example.com