Sign up for FREE and get all new articles and members-only content to your inbox.

Do This One Thing For 10 Seconds Today & Instantly Improve Your Day

There'salwayssomething.006

“About 90% of the things in our life are right. Make sure you don’t overlook the 90% of things that are right because you are focusing on the 10% of things that aren’t. ” Dale Carnegie

Do you want to know one of the most important things I have ever learned? No matter what I thought was”wrong” or “wasn’t working out” in my life … if I was willing to step back and look at things objectively, there were always things going right.

Each and every time I felt frustrated, overwhelmed or upset about things that either were or weren’t happening, the mistake I was making was that I was allowing all the things I didn’t like to overshadow all the things that had fallen into place and were already working.

And, you want to know what else I realized? If I would just stop focusing on what was bothering me for 10 seconds (yes, that’s right, only 10 seconds) and instead focus on the things in my life that were working, it would immediately elevate my mood and make me feel better.

It would allow me to put everything into perspective and not overlook all the good things already surrounding me. It’s like one of my favorite quote explains -

“Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have.”

Focusing on what was already working always melts away some of the heaviness and any disappointment you may feel. When you stop the Chief Negativity Officer in your mind from repeating its negative thought patterns and instead turn your attention to all the things you do have (the big things and especially the small things you may normally overlook), it just makes you feel better.

It’s not that the problems or issues we are working through instantly disappear, but by reminding ourselves of all the things in our life that we appreciate, we lift our mood and get in a better state of mind to actually work through whatever needs to be dealt with.

So after I realized that, I am sure you can imagine I started using this approach as a regular everyday practice. No matter what I have going on, I know I can instantly lift my mood and improve the day just by taking 10 seconds to remind myself of all the things I have in my life that I appreciate.

And, even when I am feeling great and not working through any challenges, I use this practice regularly to keep all the good vibes flowing.

If you are a part of the Possibility of Today Facebook community, you’ve probably seen the routine we do where we focus our minds on what’s already working in our life and what we appreciate. We share it with all 47,000 + people in the Facebook Community and it feels great. Take a look at some of what people have shared recently.

Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 9.39.11 PMScreen Shot 2013-02-19 at 4.10.09 PM

Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 4.01.23 PMScreen Shot 2013-02-19 at 4.04.06 PM

What You Focus On Expands

The reality is that whatever you focus on expands. So, ask yourself this question – Why not focus on those things that you want more and more of in your life? You get to choose where you direct your attention. And, when you focus on what’s already working, whatever is bothering you is much easier to put into perspective and work through.

It’s not that you ignore it or never deal with it, but rather, you appreciate all that you do have and you realize the importance of being in the right frame of mind so that you can find your way to any solution you may need.

The Possibility of Today:

1. Take 10 seconds right now. Stop whatever you are doing and leave a comment about what’s already working for you in the comment section under this article. Share with us one great thing you appreciate about today? When you really focus on what’s working and share it with people, it elevates whatever mood you’re in. Test it out right now and you will see how great it works.

2. Go Tell Someone how much you appreciate them. Send them an e-mail or text – right now that says: “Hey ________, just a quick note to say hello. I want you to know how much I appreciate having you in my life. Enjoy the rest of your day.” Is this a cheesy and overly sensitive thing to do? I don’t think so – and honestly, who cares? Being sensitive is the new cool. And, it’s amazing how much these random acts of appreciation will elevate your mood instantly and the mood of whoever you send them to. Give someone a nice surprise right now.

3. Pass it on. Share this post with someone so they can get their good vibes flowing. Help other people instantly improve their moods today.

Live today Better Than Yesterday.

Did you like this article? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below and one thing that you appreciate about today.

Comments

1. 1
    Michelle Marks says:

Being thankful and grateful!

2. 2
    Mittie Edmond says:

I absolutely love the way Cornelius manages to make me laugh out loud from the gut with putting much effort.

3. 3

I have an amazing, supportive husband. My children are pursuing their dreams & goals. My 4 beautiful grand children are all thriving & their faces bring me joy.

4. 4
    MILDRED BELL says:

right this minute i am feeling better than yesterday being grateful that i am getting better was really sick for 17 days thanking God that i didn’t have to go to the hospital

5. 5

Knowing that I have food on my plate and a roof over my head provides me with such great joy.

6. 6
    Rashidah Myrie says:

The thing that is working for me now is that I am so much more clearer about where I am headed. Now with that I do not have details but I am excited about that and I am okay with that. I know that change is a constant and I embrace it. I have beauty all around me and living inside me. I have discovered in the past four days that loving people and helping others is truly about making sure that your own light does not go out first! I am convinced that by keeping my lantern going and making sure that it is clean, I am able to impact those around me. The truth is I have heard this concepts for years and never understood them. However in the midst of a very painful place this truth has become revealed in me. If we slow down and listen God and love is always speaking. If want success life will give us hints of what will give us our tailored made success map. Love is always waiting to welcome us back home but we have to be brave enough to embrace it.

7. 7

I concentrated on family and how much love I have for them! Then I started thinking of my dads death and realized I am still in morning over him, but it’s time to move forward because he will always be in my heart! Thank you Sibyl! This helped me come to terms with a lot! I will be doing more of this!

• 8

Thank you Kori for sharing. And, you are right. Your dad will always be in your heart. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to adjust to staying close to people this way – through your heart, but it really is true they are always there:) Thanks for dropping by and sharing.

8. 9

the snow falling is peaceful and beautiful

9. 11

My new life path is working, I happier and am not letting negativity of others invade my space.

• 12

I love that … nothing better than knowing you are doing the things you need to in order to get to where you want to be. Thanks for sharing this Milakaa.

10. 13

I am so thankful for life, my two wonderful children and my family. Even though my son is battling a life threatening disesase I am still thankful.

11. 15

I am so grateful to have a peaceful home to share with my love and our 2 cats. I
    Home is a relaxing sanctuary full of love and peace.

12. 17
    Lance White says:

I’ve always known that my wife loves me and is for me…but especially lately I KNOW for certain, for certain, that she is with me and for me.

13. 19

Today I am thankful for me doing what’s right form me, getting that job that I want and getting rid of the negative in my life. I have an amazing man in my life and a roof over my head.

14. 21

I have the grace of God working everything out for my good.
    I have the love of my family, friends and the assurence that everything is going to be fine. I hope you will allow Jesus in your lives, he is the answer to all life’s tough questions.

15. 22

I am thankful for teaching people today how to get fitter.

16. 23

I am very thankful for finding your post and the opportunity to be grateful that I have a warm fuzzy kitty on my lap.

• 24

So glad you found the article and that you enjoyed it Jess. Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to let me know.

17. 25

I just barely woke up, but what I appreciate about today is the way I feel about myself. Last night I made some minor choices that caused me to not feel good about myself. I thought it through and forgave myself and this morning I feel great! Almost like I didn’t make those choices – but stronger though because I did and I have forgiven myself.

Thank you for this post! It invited me to seek out the good, even just upon waking. Thank you.

18. 26

My ability to draw and write poetry is still improving!

19. 27

My daughters migraine finally went away!!!!!!! Thank God!

20. 28
    Mary Willis says:

10 Seconds: I am truly thankful for my sister and her husband who do great things for me!

21. 29

I am healthy, I am in a great relationship, and doing work I enjoy. Today, I am looking forward to meeting up with a good friend for brunch.