“Life is about creating yourself.” George Bernard Shaw
Are you willing to always follow your own truth and do what feels right deep down?
I was thinking about this recently because I realized that I have become such a believer in finding the way to your own truth — and then of course following it.
But, I can’t say this has always been something I have done.
For so many years of my life, I was so concerned about how things would look and what other people would think. I made sure I never stepped too far out of the box or did those things people would raise an eyebrow at or question.
But, the experiences of life have a way of changing you … Don’t they?
Of course, there are certain experiences that were tough to get through – real tough. But, if we step back and look at everything that has happened and all we’ve gone through, we know we’re stronger and have learned some very important life lessons along the way.
One really important lesson I finally learned was that as long as we are finding the way to our truth and doing what feels right deep down, then we are moving in the right direction.
So, for the last six-plus years, I have made a concerted effort to always follow my own truth. At first, it was just a matter of taking babysteps (i.e. politely saying “no” when it felt right regardless of what other people thought; opening myself up to trying new things that interested me).
And now, six years later, I would have to say I’ve gotten pretty good at always following my truth. All those babysteps were continual practice — and, as you know, practice makes perfect.
So, what that means for me now, is that there are more and more decisions I make that some people may raise an eyebrow at and even question.
But, you know what I realized? That’s okay. People are always going to have opinions.
You know what else I realized? Although there may always be some people raising an eyebrow at our decisions, there are also people who know us well that will agree with our decisions and support us every step of the way.
And, ultimately what matters the most, is that we are being honest with ourselves, thoughtful and following our own truth. If we know that to be true, then we can know we are making the best decisions and living our life the way it was meant to be lived.
It’s like that great quote by Steve Jobs reminds us –
‘Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want. Everything else is secondary.’
Awhile back I created a list of the things you may want to do even if other people think they are wrong. From time to time, I update the list. I’d highly recommend creating one of these lists for yourself and make sure you’re following it. But, for now, feel free to check mine out.
21 Things You May Want to Do Even If Other People Tell You They Are Wrong
1. It’s okay … to continue to have hope when other people tell you things are hopeless
2. It’s okay … to only focus on today and refuse to worry about tomorrow
3. It’s okay … to quit your job and pursue your passion
4. It’s okay … to change your mind
5. It’s okay …to be out of your comfort zone and do things you’re not good at yet
6. It’s okay … to be an idealist
7. It’s okay … to admit your weaknesses and openly work on them
8. It’s okay … to sing and dance in your car when other people are looking
9. It’s okay … to tell people exactly what you want (nicely)
10. It’s okay … to stop associating with negative people that are weighing you down
11. It’s okay … to treat yourself from time to time to certain indulgences
12. It’s okay … to still go after a dream even if you’re scared and wavering
13. It’s okay … to always see the glass half full
14. It’s okay … to be a dreamer
15. It’s okay … to make a mistake
16. It’s okay … to slow down as you move through the day
17. It’s okay … to decide that you want something else for your life
18. It’s okay … to stop trying to prove your point even when you’re right
19. It’s okay … to be bold and take chances
20. It’s okay … to do it your “own way” when it comes to spirituality
21. It’s okay … to believe that everyday is filled with infinite possibilities
Live Today Better than Yesterday.
Did you like this article? Please share your thoughts in the comment section. Also, if you need to contact me for anything, please feel free to use the contact form or e-mail me directly at email@example.com